KTM 530 EXC thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Hak
Admin

PostSubject: Re: KTM 530 EXC thread   Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:22 am

Thoughts on the mirror so far:

The mirror is honestly kind of a letdown. I was hoping it would be the perfect solution but it either falls short in one catagory or another. It's 'tolerable' but not what I was expecting based off lots of good reviews and comments on ADV Rider.

For me I position the mirror so that it's in a zig-zag shape rather than straight up in the air like a mail box flag. Basically my adjustable RAM coupler/clamp mount is horizontal and my mirror is vertical. This keeps a low profile as well as help reduce vibes. The mirror can act as a moment load if positioned straight up, so vibes will be amplified. Looking out of the mirrora is OK at moderate speeds. Buzzy, but at least you can make out the car behind you.

My main complaint is that it will not hold it's position if you encounter bumpy or rough surfaces. What good is a "dualsport" mirror if it can't stand up to very little bumpy conditions? I'm not talking about woods riding either. I have tried adjusting it firm and soft. Nothing seems to help. Eventually the mirror will move out of its position.

My other complaint is that between me trying to have the clamp tight as hell (to keep the mirror from moving) and the transition from pavement to dirt, is that its just to much work to move the mirror to the folded position. It takes two hands and that means having to find neutral (erm...this is a KTM lol)....or shutting the bike off. All just to fold the thing out of the way unless you want it flopping around and trying to one-hand it. It sure would be nice if someone designed a radial mount that was kind of like knurled metal or had a pattern to a mating part. That way you could use some sort of spring loaded mating device that had a push button to control endless positions.

All in all its not a bad product. It just could use a good bit of redesigning to make it work better. Is it worth the cost? That's up to the end user/buyer to decide. If I had to do it all over again I might just opt for a simple trucker round mirror and afix it to my handlebar like many do. It would be out of the way and wouldn't require the fiddling with clamping the mirror down like the Doubletake Mirror does. It also would certainly be a cheaper method.

To answer your question in short, yes its certainly useable on the street. Not great but its do-able.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ridealabama.forumotion.com
Hak
Admin

PostSubject: Re: KTM 530 EXC thread   Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:22 am

Dec 3oth:

So I took a little exploration ride today with pics. History buffs might like where its going.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=440...0&#entry3894958

A bonus to the ride is I stumbled across a tree I dubbed "The Snatch Tree". Can you guess why? :cool:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ridealabama.forumotion.com

KTM 530 EXC thread
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ride Alabama :: General :: OHV parks / trail riding-
Jump to: